Thursday, August 20, 2015

God's Perfect Timing

I've recently began adding Proverbs 31 Ministries to my daily devotional content. Today's devotional really spoke to me. It was about God's perfect timing. At the end of each devotional, they have a reflection piece. I usually don't do the reflection piece. However, today I couldn't help but do it. As I'm typing it, I knew it immediately needed to go on this blog.
Today's reflection:
"Can you think of an instance in your life when waiting on God's perfect timing proved His plans were better than your own?"

I'm sure there are several things in my life that worked out better on God's time than I realize. The one that sticks in my mind is meeting my husband. Growing up, I never had boyfriends or dates. I've always been on the heavy side. Let's face it, most boys just aren't that into that. It wasn't until I was about 17 (and much thinner) that boys started taking an interest in me. I met a boy when I was 16 at the place we both worked. At first glance, I wasn't attracted to him at all. Over time, that attraction grew. It grew so much that I developed a huge thing for him. Oh, how I tried and tried to catch his attention. One of his friends at work mentioned to me that he likes girls that are chill; ones that he can hang with as a friend, but still be attracted to. Basically, quit trying so hard. Play hard to get. So not my style! To make a really long story short, I eventually did get his attention, and we had a complicated "relationship" for about 7 years.

We were never exclusive in our relationship. He ended up going away to college while I stayed and went to college locally. We would hang out occasionally when he came back home for visits. I had a couple of boyfriends during college....nothing serious at all. I just always kept coming back to him. I just couldn't understand why he wasn't on the same page. Then I moved away. Well, he actually came to visit me in my new place. I thought for sure that meant that he was starting to feel more since he would visit me in a place where he didn't have family. Still, no commitment. We were both still in school, so I didn't stress it so much. Still, in the back of my 22 year old mind I couldn't help but feel  like I'd never find my future husband.

At 23, that changed. I was ordering some meat from the deli one day, and this really cute guy was getting my order. I could go on about that, but that's a whole other post in itself (which I've written). At 23 I met my husband behind a deli counter. Talk about customer service! It did take a few months to get things going, but once they started it was all systems go. We were perfect for each other. We officially starting dating in May. We were looking at rings in August. Engaged by November. Married that following July. God was simply telling me at 22 I was not ready. By the time I got married, I had finished grad school and gotten my first professional job. I was ready. God knew that.

Now almost 7 years later, I'm faced with another waiting dilemma: becoming a mom. A couple of years ago we thought it was the time, but God told us "not yet." We're still waiting. It's hard. It's heartbreaking. It's frustrating. I know it's my job to stay faithful and continue in prayer because God makes all things good in HIS time.....not mine. A sweet friend at work who is pregnant after having difficulty for a long time gave me this devotional book:

I can't wait to dive in a start reading this. She said it was a huge help to her, so I know that I will reap it's benefits, too. 
Colossians 4:2 says: "Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving."

I'm thankful for the blessing God brought me almost 7 years ago. This man has been a blessing in my life in so many ways. 


No comments:

Post a Comment